i am continuing to write letters to my sons every month in hopes to express to them my thoughts and feelings as they continue to grow. this is the 2nd year of my letters. i look forward to writing these – i have so much i want to say to them but i am often at a loss for the words. i welcome you to follow along with me each month as i continue these letters.
my dearest boys – with the start of a new year i find myself thinking of so many wishes and dreams for the three of you. there is so much i want to say, so many things i want you to know, i wish i could hold each of your hands forever as you journey through life. to pick you up when you fall down, to give a simple hug or kiss to make it better, to listen to you when you are sad. i love watching each of you grow into such amazing boys – it pulls at my heart strings seeing you grow up so fast.
as you journey through life you will hit some bumps along the way, but hopefully you can pick yourself up, dust off your knees and keep going. mommy wants you to remember several important things as you go along your journey…
1. pray – pray to God everyday! be thankful for what you have been given in life. even if it is just saying your guardian angel pray at night – pray to God, talk to him, tell him your dreams and your fears. you may not always understand why something happens to you, but if you ask for God’s guidance he will walk with you always.
2. be polite – always use your manners, saying please and thank you. you never know who you will come across in life and a simple please and thank you can go a long way. and boys, be sure to hold the door open for girls when they are in your presence. let them go first – and do this with a smile.
3. it is ok to cry – never be afraid to cry. you are never to old, too cool or too tough to cry. if something makes you sad, hurts your feelings or even just tugs at your heart strings – show it! being able to express your emotions make you more of a man, not less. i want you to always express how you feel. so please if you need to, cry! i will always try to be there to hand you a tissue, give you a hug or just listen.
4. use your words – i say this phrase to you many times a day. learning to express your feelings and your needs is very important- it will help you not only in dealing with girls but people in general. this little piece of advise will get you through many obstacles in life. and don’t forget if you need to refer back to #3.
5. never hit a girl – there will come a time in your life when you will find girls fascinating and frustrating all at once. girls are confusing, and you may not always see eye to eye with them. it is never ok to hit a girl for any reason- ever!
6. try new things – whether that be food, sports, hobbies, just about anything. don’t be afraid to try something new. you may decide you don’t like it, but at least you gave it a try. as mommy always says – you never know if you will like something unless you try it!
7. say i’m sorry – never be afraid to say i’m sorry when you have done something wrong. when you say i’m sorry – mean it. saying your sorry is not easy to do, but it is the right thing to do. when you find yourself struggling with this refer back to #1.
8. laugh out loud – laugh so hard that you cry! laughter truly is the best medicine. you cannot stay mad and laugh at the same time – i dare you to try it! and don’t be afraid to laugh at yourself. being able to laugh at your own mistakes only makes you that much better. there have been times mommy has laughed so hard i either shot milk out my nose or peed my pants – just once i want you each to laugh like that!
9. be thankful for your brothers – you won’t always like each other, but you will always love one another! not everyone is as lucky as the three of you and has siblings. so be sure to tell your brothers you love them, be there for each other, support one another and listen to each other. when you need them – they will be there for you!
10. lead by example – your actions will speak louder than words. act in a way that you would want others to see you. treat people the way you would want to be treated. if you say you are going to do something – do it! trust is a powerful thing- do not take for granted someone’s trust in you.
last but not least – never doubt your mommy’s love for you! know that i would move mountains to protect each one of you. you boys are my heart and my soul. i love you each more and more every day – and that will never stop. i will love you always!